- At the RSA Conference this week, the Department of Homeland Security said that the lack of individuals with cyber security skills needs urgent attention, according to this ComputerWeekly article. The article points to a recent survey which revealed that frequent data breaches are having a big effect on the global economy.
- Google has announced that RightScale will be the first reseller of Google Compute Engine, Google's public cloud infrastructure, according to this BusinessInsider article. RightScale will offer support for Google Compute Engine to enterprise customers looking to migrate to the cloud.
- A new report by Forrester Research revealed that up to 70% of what IT administrators call "private cloud" doesn't meet the guidelines for a private cloud, according to this NetworkWorld article.
- The Smart Enterprise team is on the show floor at the RSA Conference this week. Follow our live tweets from @SmartEnterprise and look for our interviews and blogs on Smart Enterprise.
CloudViews Unplugged Video: Data Security, Rogue Cloud & Swarm Computing
In the latest episode of CloudViews Unplugged, Andi Mann and George Watt of CA Technologies discuss cloud security, rogue cloud, swarm-based computing and video production in the cloud.
DevOps and the Art of IT Operations
By Michael Hugos, Author
Business lives in an online, real-time world. It has to respond online and in real-time too. Taking months or years to respond to changing markets just won't cut it anymore. That goes double for responding with business models that aren't online and mobile savvy. Changes and enhancements to applications are the new reality today, not just an occasional event. Close communication and collaboration between application development teams and IT operations teams is crucial for success. And that's what DevOps is all about.
DevOps builds on what Agile started. By using Agile approaches, development teams can build new applications and add new features in short iterations. But if IT operations people can't roll that new software into production as quickly as it's developed, what good does it do? Enter DevOps, which is a response to the growing interdependence between software development and IT operations. Read the full article.
- Is the cloud secure? Join us after the RSA Conference for a @CloudCommons #CloudViews tweetchat on March 5th at 12:00 p.m. ET where we'll be discussing cloud security. Download the calendar invite and preview the questions on Smart Enterprise.
- What are the top 9 cloud computing threats for 2013? In this InfoWorld blog, Ted Samson outlines "The Notorious Nine," a cloud threat list that was created from responses to a Cloud Security Alliance survey of industry experts. The list includes data breaches, data loss, service traffic hijacking, insecure interfaces and APIs, denial of service, malicious insiders, cloud abuse, insufficient due diligence, and shared technology vulnerabilities.
- Should more businesses be migrating to the cloud? In this InfoWorld blog, David Linthicum discusses recent findings which reveal that schools and governments are moving to the cloud faster than most Global 2000 enterprises.
- What are the most frustrating parts of managing mobile devices for enterprises? In this ZDNet blog, Joe McKendrick shares the results of a recent survey which reveals the top 5 most frustrating issues of BYOD for IT managers, including mobile device onboarding and support, support for non-provisioned devices, data encryption and loss, and help desk ticketing.
- Will big data transform IT security? In this Forbes blog, Art Coviello shares his thoughts on how big data is transforming IT security and how the technology has matured since the last RSA Conference.
Vote for CloudViews Unplugged!
Vote for CloudViews Unplugged for the best 2013 podcast on vSphere-land. CloudViews Unplugged is on the second page of the survey.
Upcoming Cloud Events