- Microsoft Azure performed better than Amazon Web Services in a series of write/read/delete tests conducted by Nansuni, according to this CIO article. Microsoft's cloud was 56% faster at writing data to the cloud and 39% faster at reading data than AWS.
- A recent survey by 451 Research of 100 enterprises revealed that 47% have plans to implement a private cloud in 2013, according to this FierceEnterpriseCommunications article. Nineteen percent of respondents said they are using a public cloud service.
- A new report by Gartner predicts that Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) will have a compound annual growth rate of 41.3% through 2014, according to this Forbes article. Gartner predicts that IaaS will be the fastest growing public cloud service.
- A new CDW Government study predicts that 35% of IT budgets for K-12 schools will be spent on cloud computing by 2017, according to this The Journal article. Schools will increasingly use the cloud for storage, collaboration, and productivity tools.
CloudViews Unplugged Video: Data Security, Rogue Cloud & Swarm Computing
In the latest episode of CloudViews Unplugged, Andi Mann and George Watt of CA Technologies discuss cloud security, rogue cloud, swarm-based computing and video production in the cloud.
How to Use the Rogue Cloud to Innovate the Right Cloud
By Andi Mann, CA Technologies
People keep storing and sharing highly sensitive information in the public cloud despite the warnings about the dangers, and despite story after news story that validates those warnings. This is the rogue cloud-a de facto innovation platform that exists thanks to legions of organizations diving headlong into cloud computing, without the guidance and involvement of IT.
The rise of the rogue cloud isn't always an innocent mistake by happy-go-lucky but otherwise responsible users. Nearly one-fourth of the respondents (23%) in the IDC Innovation Imperative research commissioned by CA Technologies said innovation projects were frequently pursued stealthily, where IT was consciously and deliberately shut out of the projects. Read the full article.
- Is the cloud secure? Join us for a @CloudCommons #CloudViews tweetchat on March 5th at 12:00 p.m. ET where we'll be discussing cloud security. Download the calendar invite and preview the questions on Smart Enterprise.
- How are you measuring cloud ROI? In this Forbes blog, Joe McKendrick shares the results of a recent survey conducted by The Open Group which revealed that only 20% of respondents had mechanisms in place to measure cloud ROI.
- Where's the cloud headed in 2013? In this Asia Cloud Forum blog, George Watt shares his cloud predictions for 2013, including apps get the wrecking ball, a high-impact cyber attack launched from the cloud and the year of community clouds.
- Will your next storage device be DNA? In this Smart Enterprise blog, Randy Weis discusses the benefits and drawbacks of molecular and DNA storage devices.
- Is Amazon Web Services working on a new disruptive big data tool? In this The Register blog, Jack Clark pieces together clues from multiple new Amazon job listings to predict that AWS is planning a new near-real-time analytics database that can handle exabytes of data.
- What are you looking forward to at RSA? In this CA Security Management blog, Leanne Agurkis details why she enjoys going to RSA and the events that she's looking forward to this year.
Join the Cloud Community!
Join the Cloud Commons group on Smart Enterprise to stay up-to-date on the latest cloud news, videos, blogs, and events.
Upcoming Cloud Events